Sunday, April 22, 2007

Using God to Spread Hate

I've said before that while I proclaim myself to be a Christian, I, in no way, support Christian Fundamentalism. For most of America--even those who see themselves as Christians--just flat out don't know that there is a difference. Let's name a few. Fundamentalist believe the planet Earth is only 6000 years old and that God put dinosaur bones here, underground, just to confuse us and keep us guessing. Basically, they take the Bible--a book that has been written by man, translated and re-translated over and over again--to its literal meaning.

"So what does this have to do with 'Using God to Spread Hate'?" Nothing really, I just wanted to clear that up before I started with my main point.

Many people have heard of a man named Fred Phelps. Mr. Phelps is a preacher at Westboro Baptist Church (I think it's in Kansas). Instead of using his pulpit as a soapbox to preach the love and generosity of God, he using it to preach his message of hate.

Mr. Phelps was one of the first preachers to go public with his message that "God hates Fags." And the fact that he preaches it in his church isn't what bothers me. What bothers me is that instead of just teaching those that want to listen, he and his followers take the hateful spit to picket not just occasions like the Gay Pride parade. He and his followers take their message of hate to the funerals of AIDS victims. So while the family of the deceased is morning and watching their loved one be buried due to his life choices, this hateful, self named preacher and his disciples of filth are chanting and screaming from a distance slogans like "Burn in Hell, Fag" and "Is it hot enough for you?"

If that isn't bad enough, they show the same spectacle at the funerals of our fallen from the Iraq War. "What?" You better believe it. Mr. Phelps and his followers believe that this war is God's way of punishing this country for its shameful acts of allowing homosexuals to live and operate in our borders. So every soldier's death is a sign from God saying "Stop being gay." Can you find a more selfish, agenda driven man this Mr. Phelps?

For anyone that has read the bible, you know that the only thing Jesus ever taught while he was here on Earth was love. He never showed an ounce of hate towards anyone, even while he was being hung on the cross. How this man can justify God's hate for fags is beyond me, but I do know one thing, this man is a snake. It's people like this trash spewing, Godless preacher that give all good, loving Christians a bad name. To be associated with someone like him makes me want to drop religion all together. It is just plain sick.

Here is a video of Mr. Phelps himself on youtube. I have decided not to post the video because once is enough for me. But here is the link -- Here! Caution, it might make you angry, I know it did for me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Would love to get your reaction to "God to Same-Sexers: Hurry Up" which I zapped into on Yahoo while driving over the speed limit. F.B.